I have had many parents and educators requesting resources and tips for teens and young adults. I agree it is hard to find information and resources for how to guide and support this age group. I am thrilled to find a resource whose aim is “to increase the odds that your child grows into an adult with a rewarding, meaningful life” (xiii). Dr Temple Grandin and Dr Debra Moore.
Sue share her top 10 tips to increasing success for teens and adults.
- Find a mentor.
- Be your kid’s couch or find one for them.
- Adults (parents and mentors) must take the lead or it will not just happen (this is everything from learning independent living skills to a career).
- Help to set realistic goals and provide support to figure out how to achieve those goals.
- Start small – slowly introduce new ideas and experiences.
- Give them clear start dates and deadlines to complete each step.
- Start early and build up skills that will endure.
- Just do it.
- Magic can happen when you introduce them to new things. Stretch them out of their comfort zones
- Stay strong – don’t let your child’s fears and setbacks detract from continuing to plan and take action.
Read the extensive blog post about these tips and the Temple Grandin Movie here: