How to Help
CHildren With Separation anxiety
13 Separation Anxiety Tips
By Sue Larkey
Separation anxiety from people, friends, objects and pets is really common for children with special needs.
I came up with these 13 tips just for you, as well as reaching out to my online Facebook community for more examples!
1. Transition starts the day before. I talk about this a lot – you may recognise it from my Workshops! Don’t forget I’m running these Workshops again in 2022!
2. Use transitional objects. These can be from home or waiting at school.
3. Have a routine. Stop problems before they happen!
6. Use the stepladder approach. Step by step help children become more used to situations where they might feel separation anxiety. Check out THIS PODCAST which is a great example of a step by step approach.
7. Allow for checking, stimming and scripting. This is often important part of a child’s routine to reduce anxiety – don’t rush them!
9. Create a Separation Plan. Make sure everyone is aware of it.
11. Have a communication plan.
12. Use a combination of strategies! You know what I say: to know someone with autism is not to know autism. Not every strategy will work for every child!
13. GO with your GUT!!
Don't just listen to what I have to say!
Here is more advice and comments from other parents, carers and teachers. To see more join my facebook community HERE
Want to learn more with Sue Larkey?
Episode 92: ADHD, Autism and Anxiety with Kathy Hoopman
On the podcast I have Kathy Hoopman. Kathy has authored over 20 books on autism, ADHD and anxiety.
On the Episode We Discuss
Why Kathy Decided To Write Her Books.
Why Kathy Decided To Update and Revise Her Books
Whether Sharing a Diagnosis is Important
Kathy’s Top Tips for YOU
More Resources to Help with SeparationAnxiety:
Time Timer – 20cm Medium$65.00
Time Timer – 7.6cm Small$50.00
Portable Schedule with Digital Timer$20.00
Time Timer MOD$60.00
Time Timer PLUS$80.00
Time Timer Watch Plus – Youth$105.00
Time Timer MOD – Charcoal Colour$60.00
Time Timer Watch Plus – Adult$105.00
Time Timer Watch Plus – Youth (Blue)$105.00
Time Timer Watch Plus – Youth (Berry Pink)$105.00
Time Timer Watch Plus – Youth (Lime Green)$105.00